Brushing your teeth should be an integral part of your daily routine. This process only takes a couple of minutes at morning and night, and has huge benefits to our oral health, through fighting off harmful bacteria, removing excess food, and neutralizing acids that could cause tooth decay. In this article, we will look at how we can brush our teeth in the most effective way, and the benefits of brushing your teeth thoroughly and regularly.
Before you brush:
You must have a toothbrush that is capable of the job. You should replace your old toothbrush every 2-3 months, one it has had its run. You may need a new toothbrush if:
- the bristles are worn down
- You have recently been sick
- Your toothbrush touched another toothbrush
- You can’t remember when you last replaced your toothbrush
You should also be cautious of how long you are brushing your teeth for, it is ideal to brushing your teeth for at least 2 minutes each time you brush, in order to reach around all parts of your mouth, and eradicating as much bacteria and plaque as possible left over on your teeth.
The best brushing technique:
- Begin brushing your teeth gently at a 45 degree angle
- Brush your teeth in gentle, short back and forth motions
- Make sure to brush every side and surface of each individual tooth
- Tilt the brush downwards when cleaning the inner surface of your teeth, brushing in short up and down motions.
Complete your dental routine
Brushing is not the only important factor in your oral hygiene routine. Both flossing and mouth wash are equally as important to fight away bacteria and germs.
You should try flossing once a day, so you can get rid of any left-over food caught between your teeth effectively. Mouth wash should be swilled and spat out every time you brush to help improve bad breath and fight away any germs.
Are you struggling with your dental hygiene? Why not contact Ascent Dental Care Malvern today to see how we can help you!