At our clinic in Malvern we have an experienced hygiene team who are dedicated to providing healthy gums, fresh breath and optimum oral hygiene in order to prevent gum disease and bad breath.
We believe that the cornerstone of a healthy smile are healthy gums and great oral hygiene. After all, your gums form the very foundation of your teeth and so deserve routine care and attention. The good news is that with the correct techniques and a commitment to regular maintenance, there is no reason why you shouldn’t retain your natural teeth for life.
Hygienists do not just ‘clean teeth’, they are a crucial part of our dental team and work closely with the dentists to ensure that patients retain a healthy smile for as long as possible. The dentist and hygienist will assess the individual needs of our patients and will work together where necessary, to provide a treatment plan and options bespoke to each patient based on individual needs.
The main cause of gum disease is a build-up of plaque and tartar. Whilst flossing between the teeth and brushing twice a day will help to remove the buildup of deposits it is recommended that patients visit the hygienist every 3-6 months for a ‘professional clean’ in order to remove bacteria and toxins from those hard to reach areas that brushing alone will not reach.
Persistent bad breath is usually caused by gases created by the bacteria in plaque that coats your teeth and gums. If the plaque is not removed effectively, bad breath will persist and other symptoms of gum diseased will rapidly follow, such as bleeding gums and eventually, loose teeth.
What does a hygienist do?
- They teach our patients optimum oral health techniques so that they can maintain their gums and oral health at home.
- They carry out professional cleaning in those hard to reach areas where plaque and bacteria hide and left untreated, can cause gum disease.
- They help to maintain and actively treat those patients suffering with advanced gum or periodontal disease
- They can provide additional treatments, such as ‘air-flow’ polishing which can remove unwanted staining to provide whiter, glossier teeth in as little as 20 minutes.
- They can prescribe bespoke oral hygiene products to ensure that problems areas are treated quickly and effectively.
- They can alert the dentist to any warning signs, or changes in your oral health that may be indicative of more serious issues.
We believe it is crucial for patients to protect and maintain the investment made in their new smile!
For patients who have undergone complex or comprehensive treatments, such as dental implants or smile makeovers, we recommend they visit the dental hygienist every 3 months. Whilst we consider such dentistry to be long-lasting this is only the case if home-care and oral health is in optimal condition. The hygienist will carry out a deep professional clean, recommend additional home-care products and keep the dentist informed as to your current gum health. Regular hygiene visits are crucial in the long-term maintenance of cosmetic or implant dentistry.
If you would like to spread the cost of your routine care (examinations and hygiene visits) talk to our friendly team about out joining our monthly membership plan. This will mean that you can budget effectively for your regular dental needs to ensure that you have a healthy mouth for life.
Benefits of visiting our hygienist
- Protects and maintains any complex dentistry such as dental implants or veneers
- Prevents gum disease
- Helps to effectively maintain patients who have periodontal disease
- Recommendations of the very best oral hygiene products
- Fresh breath
- Cleaner and whiter teeth
- Preventative approach to your entire dental health
- Monitor diet and sugar intake
- Help with smoking cessation
If you would like to visit the hygienist but are nervous or unsure if they can help, please call our friendly team and book your free consultation – we are here to help.
"*" indicates required fields