As your child grows and develops, their teeth may need orthodontic treatment (braces) to ensure that future development enables a beautiful, straight smile.
The treatment of children and fitting children’s braces should be carried out carefully and by experienced clinicians as teeth, jaws and soft tissues are still growing and developing.
At Ascent Dental Care Malvern, we strongly recommend that a child’s first visit for an orthodontic assessment takes place at around the age of 7yrs old if a problem is detected. Although we will assess each case on individual needs and this is by no means a cut-off point.
We have many years’ experience in providing braces and orthodontics for children and young people.
Common concerns for parents can include:
- Protruding teeth
- Excessive spacing
- Abnormal eruption
- Difficulty with speech
- Decay and/or poor oral Hygiene
- Lack of space for teeth to erupt
- Extra teeth
- Missing teeth
- Finger and thumb sucking
- Early loss of teeth due to trauma
- Poor biting relationships between the teeth and jaws (overbite, under-bite, cross-bites)
We will carry out a comprehensive assessment of your child’s growth and development. We will also advise on breaking bad dental habits such as thumb/finger sucking and nail biting, as well as introducing the use of a protective sports guard for contact sports if required.
The type of brace required is highly individual to each child
It is important that interceptive and proactive treatment is provided on young, growing children in order to improve a poorly developing dentition. A straighter smile and functional dentition (bite) will have a hugely positive impact on your child’s self-esteem and confidence as they enter adulthood. It is truly a great investment for life.
As a rule of thumb, most children will be fitted with traditional fixed braces as these offer the best tried and tested results in terms of both appearance and compliance. However, for young people we are able to use many of our adult braces systems, such as:
- Six Month Smiles
- Inman Aligner
Benefits of braces for children
- A proactive approach means the very best results long-term
- Improved confidence and self- esteem as your children enter adulthood
- Reduces risk of dental decay as we align teeth and make them easier to clean
- Improved cosmetic appearance
- Improved oral hygiene
- Reduces the need for more complex reparative treatment in later life
At Ascent Dental Care Malvern we offer a comprehensive FREE Straighter Teeth consultation alongside our wonderful ‘Straighter Teeth Programme’ which includes:
- Free ‘Straighter Teeth consultation’
- Brace or straightening system of your choice (dependant on results of consultation)
- Cosmetic reshaping of teeth (if required)
- Retainers (designed to hold teeth in place permanently)
- Free Teeth Whitening for a ‘wow’ final result (over 16’s only)
If you think your child would benefit from braces, please call us to book your free consultation with a member of our experienced team